A couple of days ago, I came across an idea by Edward de Bono which he calls a "bonto poem". If you fancy a little creativity on the poetry front, the bonto offers a potential answer. It challenges the writer to create a poem that ‘makes a point’ within a strict set of rules – and using just four lines of verse.

The following rules for the bonto are reproduced from a post on The De Bono Society site:

The first line should be as bizarre as possible
The second line finds a reason for the first line
The third line states the consequences of the first two lines
The fourth line encapsulates the poem and states a philosophical reflection on life
There are only four lines
The first two lines rhyme
The last two lines rhyme
Maximum of seven or eight syllables
There must be an equal number of syllables in each and every line!

To give you an idea of what a bonto poem might look like, I've Penned(!) one that tries to capture the essence of the AWG in 32 syllables - including the requisite "bizarre" opening line:

AMED writers are in the Club!
Home of a vibrant learning hub.
Openly sharing means and ends,
Honing skills through critical friends

Happy composing!

Views: 308

Replies to This Discussion

Organisations are never static.
People involved are too erratic.
What if our expectancy
Took account of complexity?
Brilliant, Chris and Paul!

How about:

The new generation are little bloggers,
Creating posts as action joggers.
What this means for the future of writing
Poses questions most exciting.

Ugh - and apologies! Thanks for the challenge. Bob
Hi, Chris

To my horror, the faceless and unstoppable force of the internet saved my previous juvenalia whilst I was still in the process of scribbling, and my previous posting was not as I would have wished it to appear! Since I can't erase it, I must live with it, and I hope to post a slightly improved version in due course. Now back to the day job!

Best wishes. Bob
Great poems chaps!

But you've both broken Bonto rules 8 and 9. As Basil might say, "Your Sybils are Fawlty".

This is the most challenging bit - keeping the number of syllables down to a maximum of eight per line and making sure that the number is the same in each line. Great for stimulating the creative juices, though.

Thanks for giving it a go!
Yes, Chris

I realised that I had broken the rules. I'll try to do better next time! best wishes. Bob

Chris Rodgers said:
Great poems chaps!

But you've both broken Bonto rules 8 and 9. As Basil might say, "Your Sybils are Fawlty".

This is the most challenging bit - keeping the number of syllables down to a maximum of eight per line and making sure that the number is the same in each line. Great for stimulating the creative juices, though.

Thanks for giving it a go!

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

AMED Admin updated an event
Monday
Fizza Hasan updated their profile
Oct 15
Rod Woodhouse is now a member of The AMED Network
Oct 13
Bob MacKenzie added a discussion to the group Sustainable Development Network
Oct 13

O&P back issues

O&P back issues now for sale. 

We have a rich library of O&P issues and individual articles in electronic format going back to 1994, just waiting for you. Copy of order form for back issues of e-O&P in MS Word format.

Make sure you can reach the Full AMED Members' page or the O&P Subscribers' page to download the latest edition.

Not yet a member or subscriber?
Click here for synopses of recent editions.

© 2020   Created by AMED Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service