We have set up this Discussion forum, linked to the 17 April 2020 AMED Writers' Group session, to enable anyone who wishes to post their thoughts before and after our ZOOM session.  Please feel free to occupy this space.

Views: 112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Bob, Shelagh and all.  Sorry for distracting microphone mismanagement. 

I recognise the danger of 'echo-chambers' and when we speak about engaging with like-minded folk, I always think (and sometimes say) 'and with unlike-minded folk'. 

Something I have valued about AMED meetings is finding it is so easy to fall into conversations of the quality we just had without knowing, until chance discovery, e.g. over coffee, that you were speaking with a lawyer, journalist, engineer, civil servant, scientist, etc.  So we link many worlds of work, even if we are kindred spirits.  

So how shall we engage with the Mail, Telegraph, Mirror, Sun readers?  Actually, I reconnected with a college friend in November.  Political awareness hadn't emerged in us when we were flatmates 50 years ago and I was rather shocked to discover how far apart our positions were.  

Cordial relations remain in place and I am sensing for opportunities to try for dialogue.  

A warm-hearted thank you to Bob and Shelagh - and everyone else. I found the session powerful and just wanted to say that I am very grateful for the experience of spending time alongside you all hearing your takes on the 200yr present.

I’m encouraged to do more research on recent history, and read more of Kate Raworth, Elise Boulding and Otto Scharmer. I’m also prompted to read Daniel Pink’s “A whole new mind” where he talks about Boundary Crossers, though perhaps in the narrower context of professional disciplines. Has anyone here read it? If anyone is interested in a good book on dialogue I can recommend William Isaac’s eponymous “Dialogue”.

Hi David

Great question re the Mirror, Sun, etc. readers.  I am asking myself a similar question as I have found myself dismayed and even angry at the kinds of things people I know (on FB and like you, some old friends) think and say.  I am working on trying to see them and meet them where they are at, and recognise the privilege (that word again) of my education as a scientist.  The gap has felt so wide.  I have stopped myself saying much to date for fear of patronising and also having an inkling that I may have an egotistical attachment to being the person who enlightens them and changes their mind.  That of course makes them wrong, and me superior.  I'm definitely a work-in-progress.  And today's session has helped me a lot!

David F McAra said:

Thank you, Bob, Shelagh and all.  Sorry for distracting microphone mismanagement. 

I recognise the danger of 'echo-chambers' and when we speak about engaging with like-minded folk, I always think (and sometimes say) 'and with unlike-minded folk'. 

Something I have valued about AMED meetings is finding it is so easy to fall into conversations of the quality we just had without knowing, until chance discovery, e.g. over coffee, that you were speaking with a lawyer, journalist, engineer, civil servant, scientist, etc.  So we link many worlds of work, even if we are kindred spirits.  

So how shall we engage with the Mail, Telegraph, Mirror, Sun readers?  Actually, I reconnected with a college friend in November.  Political awareness hadn't emerged in us when we were flatmates 50 years ago and I was rather shocked to discover how far apart our positions were.  

Cordial relations remain in place and I am sensing for opportunities to try for dialogue.  

Goodness, Siobhan.  Yes!  So difficult to let go of feeling right!  (Also a fan of Edgar Schein and William Isaacs on dialogue although I don't know the book)>

Here are five images that Shelagh prepared for our ZOOM workshop - Blue Peter style - to stimulate our conversation..

Thank you to Bob & Shelagh for organising and running this session. 

It was a fascinating subject and something I will continue to ponder.

As ever with AMED Writing meetings, always worthwhile attending them.

REally enjoyed the expanded take on life and found out all sorts of things I didn't know had happened 100 years before my year of birth!  You could see the echoes now from them, and it's interesting to notice what seemed high in volume (as in loud) at the time and to what extent that is different or similar now. Educational reforms, need for better hygiene, campaigns for people in difficult or dangerous occupations, undervalued and in need of better profile and support. . .

I have taken you at your word Shelagh and will be sharing lovely Elise Boulton with a group tomorrow (April 30th), asking people to bring past and future to the now and perhaps choose a small step to take. I shall be thanking you. It's a 'part 2' of something on social resilience and will be lodged on YouTube. I'm also drawing on Bill Sharp's three horizons (International Futures Forum).  The future is here!

Thank you.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

O&P News

O&P back issues now for sale. 

We have a rich library of O&P issues and individual articles in electronic format going back to 1994, just waiting for you. Copy of order form for back issues of e-O&P in MS Word format.

Make sure you can reach the Full AMED Members' page or the O&P Subscribers' page to download the latest edition.

Not yet a member or subscriber?
Click here for synopses of recent editions.

© 2020   Created by AMED Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service