Please join the discussion here in the run-up to our Inspiring Publications event in Brighton on Friday 16 May.  

How can we ...

...  better share ideas that matter? 

... be more engaging in conversations full of learning? 

... raise the voices of thinking organisations?  

... organisations of humans not 'human resources'?  

... sing a song of creativity and hope, for more to hear and join in?

These are our aspirations for AMED’s journal, e-O&P, as we reflect upon the opportunities and challenges in our wired lives where anyone can be a publisher. 

Our workshop in Brighton on 16 May 2014 is open to all who are interested in spreading new thinking about people, organisations and management.   

Even if you are unable to attend, please help us by sharing your thoughts here in the few days remaining before the workshop.   

Any thoughts about

... publishing and broadcasting in general

... successful change arising from the sharing of ideas

... AMED’s publications, past, present and future.

I will write about the workshop here afterwards and keep this forum open until the end of May for any further dialogue. 

And if you possibly can, do come and join us in person. 

David

Views: 220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I welcome the opportunity to contribute, even though I am unable to get to Brighton on the day.

I have found that the publications that have chimed with me are those that have been relevant to what I have been involved in at the time. Searching for them by title in bookshops has only occasionally been helpful and I haven't been one to wade through online libraries.

My best publications have been found through the recommendations of others. So this form of sharing looks good to me.

David

Ah!  Interesting, David.  Thanks.  You respond as a receiver of ideas while my mindset was as broadcaster!  How pompous of me!  I'll need to be careful.  

Here is the challenge which interests me.  

I might easily have spent my life making navigation instruments designed to enable us to stay away from the edge of the flat earth but before I'd spent too long at that I was lucky enough to learn that the world was round.  Unfortunately, it remains hard to find employment with an organisation that doesn't still insist the earth is flat.  That's a pity because it leads to a lot of waste and suffering.  

Many associations like ours understand that the world is ... if not round ... definitely a more interesting shape than flat.  How can we help to share the exciting news?  

Hi David (M) , I like your challenge when you say we  'understand that the world is ... if not round ... definitely a more interesting shape than flat.  How can we help to share the exciting news?'

Suggest start with descriptions of 'flat' and 'round'. I wonder  if others looking in share the problem.

David (S)

Good suggestion, David S.  May I have a go?  

• On the flat earth, people are content to have organisations rent them.  
  • On the round earth, people share the proceeds of their joint endeavours.  

This is fun.  Your turn?  

David M

I suspect that most organisations have three sorts of people, flat earthers, round earthers and those that put up with whatever the company does. The latter group seeking fulfilment outside of work.

This seems to suggest that writers have a difficult task identifying who they are writing for, and thus who they might inspire.

David

"... put up with whatever the company does" That's what I mean by being rented, David.  "They pay me to be here.  I don't care what they ask me to do.  (I do care, really, but caring only leads to frustration, so I've learned to choke it off.)"  

I think we're writing for those who can still remember they used to care.  

Anyway ... we're not exactly going viral here!  :-)  I wondered if we might elaborate our definitions of round and flat and perhaps try it on 'Linked in'?  

• On the flat earth, ... HR
  • On the round earth, ...OD
  • On the flat earth, ... efficiency
  • On the round earth, ...quality
  • On the flat earth, ... management by objectives
  • On the round earth, ...socio-technical systems

Perhaps this binary approach is unhelpful and you were trying to lead me away from it?  

David

Fellow readers, authors and publishers

I'm posting this link to some writing on behalf of my friend and colleague Alison Donaldson, who will be joining us in Brighton.  I think it's a lovely piece, and extremely relevant to the isues we'll be exploring on 16 May and subsequently about publishing in the digital age.

Do read, and please feel free to add your own thoughts.

Best wishes.  Bob

Hi Sorry to drift away for a few days - I think we are pulling away from the title 'Inspiring Publications' and need to find out better what the title means. This may help us focus on the upcoming event.. Can anyone help us with this?

David S

David McAra said:

"... put up with whatever the company does" That's what I mean by being rented, David.  "They pay me to be here.  I don't care what they ask me to do.  (I do care, really, but caring only leads to frustration, so I've learned to choke it off.)"  

I think we're writing for those who can still remember they used to care.  

Anyway ... we're not exactly going viral here!  :-)  I wondered if we might elaborate our definitions of round and flat and perhaps try it on 'Linked in'?  

• On the flat earth, ... HR
  • On the round earth, ...OD
  • On the flat earth, ... efficiency
  • On the round earth, ...quality
  • On the flat earth, ... management by objectives
  • On the round earth, ...socio-technical systems

Perhaps this binary approach is unhelpful and you were trying to lead me away from it?  

David

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Bob MacKenzie updated an event
Thumbnail

Highlights of our Writing Year, and Private Passions, with Bob MacKenzie and Friends. at Roots and Shoots

December 13, 2019 from 1:15pm to 4:30pm
Dec 6
Ned Seabrook updated their profile
Nov 28
AMED Admin updated an event
Nov 21
John Evans posted a status
"Career decisions often involve uncertainty. It's possible to adopt a process that will avoid common mistakes. http://bit.ly/2QyIGUM"
Nov 20

O&P News

O&P back issues now for sale. 

We have a rich library of O&P issues and individual articles in electronic format going back to 1994, just waiting for you. Copy of order form for back issues of e-O&P in MS Word format.

Make sure you can reach the Full AMED Members' page or the O&P Subscribers' page to download the latest edition.

Not yet a member or subscriber?
Click here for synopses of recent editions.

© 2019   Created by AMED Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service