Tell us about your preparation, your clients' aims, what you see happening or not happening, and how you'd use your process and consultancy skills to design the perfect process for getting a strong, fair climate agreement.

Views: 126

Replies to This Discussion

Penny that is a great topic! (No, nothing to add just yet!)
Hi Penny! I agree - great topic! My voice will be at Copenhagen. I'm part of a mini-movie produced by Ideo and Fairknowledge about climate change in 2030. As soon as I get the link - I'll post it.
Best wishes,
Belina
I hope the AMED climate meeting goes well, I’ll come if i possibly can.
One of the things people like me have been shy of doing for years is expressing the situation (as we see it) in the stark way we see it. So with all our coaching skills we try to couch ‘the climate thing’ in softer clothes – ‘a warmer way to cool the planet’ – but the trouble is its a huge scary big monster dead ahead. It’s hard to sound the alarm without being alarming, and without being neutered by those who cry ‘alarmist’.
Fear will never work as a tactic. But that doesn’t mean the probable likely future isn’t as scary as scary gets!
Face the fear then do it anyway?
New Zealand is adopting an interesting approach to Copenhagen. There is a view that we are too small a nation to play a major role and that it is all taking place too far away from our little corner of the world. As a nation we do have a slight complex about just how significant we are. And then we do just the opposite, we beat our chests and jump up and down extolling our virtues, telling all and sundry just how good we are. We talk about our green efforts, our marvellous unspoilt lands, our light, fresh air and astounding natural beauty. Then we remember that our Manawatu river, running through that beautiful gorge, is one of the most polluted in the world, although you'd never guess to look at it. Polluted? Not by industry per se, but by, of all things, agriculture - primarily Nitrate run-off from fields. Politically we commit to Copenhagen, but then um and ah, but the real reason is that we don't have the financial clout to sign up at the level that the big boys can. We are a small nation of small people. Largely entrepreneurs, long-term sick and unemployed, but getting by nonetheless. Our average wage is incredibly low, and our social support systems are very effective, but the burden on the state and its ability to deliver in any other areas is obvious. In a nutshell? We care with a passion and totally understand the issues, but we can't afford the stakes, and if we did, would our mere four million voices be heard?
Hi Rob

Ah, what's the quote?

Edmund Burke said "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little."

I wondered whether New Zealanders feel any sense of kinship or connection to people from the small island states in the pacific?

I met Maria Timon from Kiribati at a workshop earlier this year, and was impressed at her work to bring her very small nation to the attention of the world. You can watch her video here.

Penny

RSS

Latest Activity

AMED Admin updated an event
Thumbnail

An introduction to group dynamics, with Tim Thomas at Institute of Group Analysis, London

February 26, 2020 at 8:30am to March 18, 2020 at 10am
Nov 11
AMED Admin updated an event
Nov 7
Mark McKergow posted a status
"Hi everyone, I am now based in Edinburgh, Scotland and having a great time connecting with the folks up here north of the border."
Nov 5
Mark McKergow updated their profile
Nov 5

O&P News

O&P back issues now for sale. 

We have a rich library of O&P issues and individual articles in electronic format going back to 1994, just waiting for you. Copy of order form for back issues of e-O&P in MS Word format.

Make sure you can reach the Full AMED Members' page or the O&P Subscribers' page to download the latest edition.

Not yet a member or subscriber?
Click here for synopses of recent editions.

© 2019   Created by AMED Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service