Refracting 'Through a different lens: writing at the museum', with Shelagh Doonan on 19 October 2018

Following a brilliant session for the AMED Writers' Group at the Horniman Museum, Shelagh has sent this hand-crafted graphic of our round-up.

Cryptic though it may seem, I hope this image will inspire participants and others to post their reflections and suggestions for our AMED 2020 co-inquiry, and/or for writing in  general. 

You can do so in this space, or on our dedicated AMED 2020 page here.  We'll try to make these two web pages interconnected.

You can add images, sound or text files here if you like.

Keep your ideas, suggestions, questions and comments coming!

Very best wishes.  Bob  bob@amed.org.uk

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The complexity and vastness of the 'data' available and ever-present in our world leaves me yearning for simplicity and focus.  To sharpen my ability to really see what is right in front of me is a challenge I take from the event at the Horniman - maybe I need to choose a narrow focus lens for a while.

Thanks to all for the gathering on Friday, and especially to Shelagh.

Steve

Here are my bullets about AMED 2020 captured after the closing discussion at last Friday's Horniman gathering. There were nine of us that sunny afternoon. We wandered alone, taking time in the special surroundings of the Horniman to write responses to Shelagh's 3 questions (What does it mean to be human? What is a life well-lived? What do we hold dear?), then gathered for tea and sharing.

My wanderings were punctuated with randomness (VUCA world): kids playing, mothers sharing cake, a distressed woman shouting at her toddler, a grandfather grateful for the special space ("Mr Horniman was a saint"). I was inspired to write a brief dialogue between the dodo I met and the Dutch sailor who first discovered this soon to be extinct bird back in 1500. 

I noted the wise suggestion that in AMED we know we best pay attention to the quality of our real experience rather than fuel anxiety by worrying about the future. In a profound way, this summed up my happy afternoon.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Peter Lawrence Block is now a member of The AMED Network
Sunday
Bob MacKenzie left a comment for John Rosling
Friday
John Rosling is now a member of The AMED Network
Thursday
Tony Page replied to David F McAra's discussion What’s your Vision?
Thursday

O&P News

O&P back issues now for sale. 

We have a rich library of O&P issues and individual articles in electronic format going back to 1994, just waiting for you. Copy of order form for back issues of e-O&P in MS Word format.

Make sure you can reach the Full AMED Members' page or the O&P Subscribers' page to download the latest edition.

Not yet a member or subscriber?
Click here for synopses of recent editions.

© 2018   Created by AMED Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service